Minden Township

From the 1882 & 1907 Pottawattamie County Histories

Minden Township was formed a part of the township of Neola until 1877, when, through the efforts of Mr. James Crow and a number of other citizens of that portion of Neola Township subsequently forming Minden, the petition presented by them to the Board of Supervisors was granted, and a new township formed, to be known as Minden Township. The township took the same name as the little village, which had been founded on the line of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad in 1875.

The boundaries are Harrison County on the north, Pleasant Township on the east, York Township on the south and Neola Township on the west. The main city within the boundaries is the town of Minden which was incorporated in 1890. Both the town, and township, are named in memory of Minden back in the fatherland of most of the industrious early settlers. The settlement consisted largely of individuals bearing a German heritage.

Several creeks and streams wander through the township, the principal ones being Keg creek and Mosquito. Three major railroads serviced the various areas in the early days: the Rock Island, the Great Western, and the Milwaukee.


  • Home: the first house built in the town was by Hugo Prester. Mr. Foster built the second and Peter Ehlers the third.
  • Store: the first store was built in 1875 by G. Diederich and carried a general stock of goods. J. O. Jeffries built the next business and engaged in the grocery trade with a restaurant attached.
  • Carpenters: Henry Urbahan, August Kaven and Fred Kruganbery
  • Blacksmith: Mr. Rodecker
  • School: in one room of the residence of Mr. Foster
  • Teacher: Mr. Kelsey
  • Early Business’: Messrs. Pria & Hornely (lumber); Peter Ehlers (grain); J. B. Norton (druggist); John Hammer & J. C. Garmong (hardware); Peter Stuhr & J. C. Garmong (agricultural implement dealers); Stuhr Brothers, J. W. Crow & J. H. Yoder (dry goods and grocery); Seiffert & Weis (lumber); L. Harm (Physician & surgeon); Dr. McLeod (first Physician in the township); J. C. Garmong (harness dealer); Henry Rolfs & H. Peterson (blacksmiths); and Adolph Winder (hotel proprietor).

In 1907, the town of Minden had two banks, several general stores, hardware stores, drug stores, a couple of grain elevator firms, a lumber yard, livery barn, saloons, blacksmith shops, a millinery store, a harness shop, a meat market, three hotels, one church, a Masonic Lodge, an I.O.O.F., a German school, an opera house, two pool halls, a wagon shop, a printing office a newspaper, a tank manufactory, a canning works, building contractors, stock buyers, barber shops, dray lines, city waterworks, an Independent Fire company, a brass band, a population of 400, and a mayor, John Geig.

Township officers were Henry Holzfoster, Joseph Holm & Peter Langer, trustees; Julius Stuhr, Clerk; John W. Crow & John Geiger, justices of the peace; G. A. Leitzke, constable and Gustave Baumsberger, assessor. The school board consisted of Henry Blumer, president; John Geiger, secretary & Fred Blumer, treasurer.

Scroll to Top