Fairview Pioneer Cemetery

Fairview Chapel and Cemetery are located one mile west and one-half mile south of the intersection of Highway 6 and Minden Road, L66. (There is a sign at the intersection, marking where to turn south off of Highway 6.) The Chapel and Cemetery are located on the east side of the road. Jay B. Matthews gave three acres in the NW corner of SW 1/4 of Section 22 of Washington Township to be used as Fairview Cemetery. The first burial was that of Jacob Sketchley in 1876. He was the son of T. H. Sketchley. Lots 1-140 constitute the old cemetery; lots 141-220 constitute the new cemetery which was added in 1901. Original cemetery lots to tax-payers of Washington Township sold for $1.00.

The adjoining church was built on land purchased from August Huelle. G. W. Briggs and sons constructed the building which was dedicated June 7, 1889. There has been no minister at the church since 1921, however, services are held there on special occasions.

A deed recorded 7 January 1956 in  Book 1156, page 323, states the Board of Trustees of the Evangelical United Brethren Church, Iowa Conference, transferred their interest in the lands to Washington Township Trustees.

A group of concerned citizens formed the Fairview Pioneer Memorial Association in 1956 and are active in preserving the Chapel and Cemetery. It is well kept and still active.

View gravestone photos for this cemetery at Iowa Gravestone Photo Project.

Scroll to Top